Robbie, the Robot

‘Waiter, a glass of water, please’

‘Beep,’ said XL-270 as he rolled up to table 5 with a tray.

It was the year 2176 and XL-270 was the newest, most modern robot available. He was green with blue eyebrows and antennae. The children that chased him playfully around the restaurant lovingly called him Robbie.

‘I love you, Robbie,’ one little boy would say often. This boy’s name was Ali. Robbie beeped happily. He loved Ali too.

One day, Ali came in with his father. He looked around but couldn’t see Robbie. Instead, a big grey robot was busily bringing food and beeping orders. Ali was surprised. Who was this?

‘Mr. Manager,’ said Ali standing on tip-toe to look over the manager’s desk. ‘Where is Robbie?’

‘Robbie?’ said the manager, irritated at the disturbance.

‘I mean the XL-270, sir. He was here last week. Now there is this new robot,’ said Ali.

‘Aah. That old clunker. It blows a fuse every week. It is no use anymore so I replaced it. Its going to be destroyed,’ said the manager returning to his paperwork.

Ali was horrified. Destroy Robbie? He looked up at his father, eyes teary. His father nodded and turned to the manager.

‘Where may we find the XL-270, sir?’ asked Ali’s father.

‘In the dumpster, out back.’

Ali ran to the door the manager had pointed to. He threw it open to find Robbie lying in the dumpster, eyes closed.

‘ROBBIE!’ cried Ali in panic, shaking Robbie’s arm.

The robot opened his eyes and beeped feebly.

‘How are you Robbie?’ asked Ali, sad to see his friend hurt.

Robbie beeped again. He knew he was being taken to the junkyard. He didn’t want to leave Ali.

‘Robbie,’ said Ali’s father quietly. ‘I run a children’s nursery and need someone to help me. Would you like to come
work for me?’

Robbie looked into the kindly face of his friend’s father. The corners of his mouth twitched. He nodded slowly.

Ali was ecstatic! He hugged Robbie and Robbie hugged back, beeping happily.

‘You dont have to go to the junkyard, Robbie. You don’t have to die. Oh, thank you dad. Thank you.’

Tags: ,

Categories: Children's 5-8, Sci Fi, Stories

12 Comments on “Robbie, the Robot”

1. Anonymous
    June 24, 2011 at 3:43 am #

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. June 24, 2011 at 7:08 am #

Thank you. :)

• July 7, 2013 at 5:42 am #

An impressive share, I just given this onto a couelagle who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

• July 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Joli Forbes – My hubby and I eloped to SF on May 28th and on the same date in 2011 we are thnriwog a righteous mock ceremony and celebration at Pappy and Harriets in Pioneertown. I love your Joshua Tree photos in fact because of your photos we almost got married at Sacred Sands, but it’s too small for our crazy crowd!I am gathering quotes from photographers and am mostly excited to see yours! Call me! 818-621-0504Are you avail on May 28th, 2011?How do you prepare a quote what can I offer you in terms of info?xo,Joli (aka Mammy J)

• August 7, 2013 at 7:10 am #

Thinking like that shows an expert at work

• August 10, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Ooooh, I’m so glad you got the journal! I took it to the grcorey store with me today and got some produce stickers :) I even bought a lemon so I could get the sticker lol

• August 31, 2013 at 4:36 am #

Your posting really straightened me out. Thanks!

• September 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

Yup, that should defo do the trick!

• November 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

he’s told her its not working out and he wants out. He says she thtanreeed to break his things. He’s disguisted with so many things about her like, not cooking, not cleaning, always arguing with him, and he pays all the bills, has a great job and is a really good man. We both agreed that timing was bad for us then, but it gave us a chance to go back out into the world to explore, well, I never found another like him, and always hoped that he would come back to me, he was out trying to find somebody better and got a smack in the face! I’m not sitting and waiting for him but, my hopes are high and he says there is no way he, wants to waste anymore time with this girl, so he’s gonna wait til the lease is up so that she can’t break his things. He doesn’t want sex from me and hasn’t had sex with me in about 2 years. He says he knows he will be happy with me, he says you’ll see, I want to take care of you and your kids He kept saying that he wants to be with me and that I have sooo many great qualities and that he made a mistake, says he’s always loved me, just didn’t want me to resent him for pushing me into a relationship, says I’m the one he wants to live with and he even wants a baby. Now this all came out of this secretive, sensitive, masculine, well behaved, loyal, dedicated man’s mouth. In the 3 years I have known this man, he has never pured his feelings about me to me this way, he always witheld. He even admitted that he thought he had found somebody better than me, and admitted he was wrong. I’m more in love with him now!!! I told him how I appreciated his honesty and will give him the time he needs to handle his business. She seems to be doing a good job at keeping me on his mind! He says he’s just gonna let the lease end and she will have to make it on her own, he’s caring and he would’t put someone with no job out on the street. I respect the way he’s handling this situation because he’s not abusing me, nor is he disrespecting her. We are not having sex until they are not living together. We both agreed to that. We may meet up a couple times, but, I’m thinking about telling him to just wait, until the lease ends. I have his respect, his loyalty and his promises for now .. How can I make this situation as comfortable as possible yet, nudge him to maybe come clean with this woman and tell her that he’s clearly in love with another woman( me). He’s stated how he feels bad for being with her knowing he’s thinking about me and in love with me. He bought me engagement ring when we were dating but, it was too soon for me and we never ended on bad terms, never argued. He says I taught him so many things and I am the one he wants to be with. He was put under pressure to move her in because she lost her job and all, he says that she’s not ambitious like I am. This man described so many things that he loves about me, that I had no idea he even recognized. I believe this man and I know it takes a real man to be honest. He held onto me for 2years after our breakup, I am not desperate, I am very confident, beautiful, intelligent, and just know what I want. I just gotta be patient. Has any other woman dealt with this type of situation, or simular, and how did it work out? I don’t need any negetive feedback, I not asking what anyone thinks, I’m asking what the experience has been, so please refrain from wasting your time if you’re not intelligent enough to respect other people’s situation.He didn’t come off as fake to me, he explained himself as caring about me and my feelings, not being able to look at me without lying to me, he cared too much too hurt me and didn’t want to lose me, obviously he had a feeling he mad a mistake, and I am an Aries, I am forgiving and with him I have learned patience so, I accept the truth wheher it hurts or not but, thanks for the comment

3. June 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Another lovely little tale :) The only downside is that it isn’t long enough but then for youngsters I guess it’s plenty. I could imagine it as a child’s paperback with pictures alongside it and being read by parents to their kids in bed.

4. June 25, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Thanks Trevor. :) I am currently writing another tale. About 2000 words for slightly older genre. Thanks for taking the time out to read t and comment on it. :)

5. Purvi