Looking for Inspiration for the Next Story?

Looking for some inspiration for your next story? Or a naughty, gets on everybody’s nerves fantasy character?

Just for fun, I am spending some time today making a list of things grown-ups do not believe in. And children do.

(This does not include writers as we are lucky enough to be blessed with an imagination)

Here is a starter. How many more things can you think of to add to this list?

1. Dragons
2. Magic
3. Invisible People/things
4. Vikings
5. Aliens living among us
6. Chimeras
7. Witches
8. Goblins
9. Brownies (The short mischievous kind not the gobble up whole kind)
10. Imps
11. Pixies
12. Fairies
13. Unicorns
14. Castles Floating in mid-air
15. Mountains floating in mid-air
16. ANYTHING floating in mid-air
17. Dwarves
18. Elves
19. Giants
20. Fairy Tales coming true

Awesome new suggestions by Sophie Duncan (http://www.wittegenpress.com/)

21. The monster under the bed.
22. Centaurs
23. Talking Animals
24. Wizards
25. Super Powers

Grand new ones by Saadiya Suleman

26. Time Travel
27. Angels

Susan Kaye Quinn has a few “Out of this World” suggestions which most Grownups scoff at. Except Physicists. But again, that lot has imagination.

28. Anti-Gravity
29. Wormholes
30. Laser Blasters (Aah, childhood! Any piece of wood was a laser blaster when I was a kid.)

Carol Oates suggests:

31. Ghosts (The friendly kind, the annoying Poltergeist kind or the downright scare you out of your pyjamas kind)

Nickie McCall takes a stab at the power of the mind and body:

32. Dreams intersecting with reality (Nickie’s sister used to call sleeping her ‘flying time’, how cute)
33. Cloning
34. Cryogenics
35. Mind control or hypnosis
36. The ability to transform/shape shift (Oooh, I wish I could become an ice cream cone and lick myself)

About these ads

Categories: Journal, My Writing Journey, On Writing

10 Comments on “Looking for Inspiration for the Next Story?”

1. August 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

The monster under the bed.
    Centaurs
    Talking Animals
    Wizards
    Super Powers

2. sadiya
    August 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

time travel..
    angels

3. August 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Anti-gravity
    Wormholes
    laser blasters

(ok, some adults believe in these too)

(and some even know that they could be real)

• August 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Definitely :) .. The whole Star Trek series is based around these which, co-incidentally, I am watching right now :)

They would make amazing stories. In fact, I plan to use a lot of space anomalies in my new Space Travel Story set 200 years in the future.

4. August 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

But Vikings were real. So no childlike belief necessary.

I’ll add ghosts to my list.

• August 18, 2011 at 11:37 am #

They don’t live any more. In our books, we can portray them existing in some corner of the planet still :)

Thanks a lot for the suggestion of Ghosts. Can’t believe I missed that out :)

5. Nickie McCall
    August 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Great list — thanks for reposting on FB, Susan!

I like ‘monsters under the bed’ because you can take that idea so many places; the fear of the unknown or the unseen is more thematic than anything else, and you could apply that to any number of ‘big baddies’ in your story. In fact, I’m thinking about adding a ‘monster under the bed’ to one of my stories.

Here are a few more ideas:

Dreams intersecting with reality (my sister used to call sleeping her ‘flying time’, how cute)
    Cloning
    Cryogenics
    Mind control or hypnosis
    The ability to transform/shape shift

I also feel like most children have a fearless sense of optimism that gets lost somewhere in adulthood. Kids really believe in their power to change the world, and you see that so often in popular YA books — a strong, smart child taking their world by storm. .

6. sadiya
    August 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

hey..what about mermaids and humans living under the ocean? a whole continent like the mythical atlantis..

7. September 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

I can’t believe no one mentioned Father Christmas, or super heroes! :)